Friday, February 6, 2009

Voter contact (conflict)

The past semester was conflict after conflict after conflict, often as many as 100 per day. You may be thinking, how could someone get into so many conflicts day after day? Does he go out and knock on doors looking for them?
Pretty much. As a full-time deputy field organizer for Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, part of my job was to knock on doors and have ‘voter contact,’ in which I had discussions with voters regarding the election.
Needless to say, there was a wide spectrum of reactions, tones, and discussions. One person chased me off her deck with broom, others invited me in for drinks. The hardest aspect was realizing that while an issue might be important to me, it was most likely not important to the person I was trying to persuade. The key was finding what was important to the voter, what their immediate concern or misgiving was, and addressing it. I found it wasn’t so much the facts I had memorized that won voters, it was more the presentation. When speaking strongly and confidently, while listening quietly and attentively, hearing them out in full, we got much better reactions. We could have conversations and discussions, even if we disagreed.

The point wasn’t to change someone’s mind right then. It was not to win a debate. I know if I lost a debate, it certainly wouldn’t change my mind about who I would vote for – only make me think about how I could have won the debate/what I should have said. The discussion, the listening, the back-and-forth understanding, allowed for the other person to hear the ideas with a more open mind, and they would probably spend some time considering the idea from a different point of view later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a supporter of Obama too! When I was in Boston, there was a group of students operating a call center for Obama from the dining hall!

    To win the people over, I agree with you that you have to address their concerns and their priorities. What won the voters over, would definitely be your confidence and the fact that you are addressing their concerns. May I know what do you mean by "speaking strongly"?

    Your point was to win a debate and not to change someone's mind? What about, successfully bringing your point across? And yes, they would probably spend some time considering what you have said with an open mind if your negotiation was successful. I see it more of a negotiation than a presentation. (n_n)

    - Kalene

    ReplyDelete